Passport photo requirements
Amended in January 2018
The Republic of Korea follows the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Guidelines on Passport Photographs. The passport is the only acknowledged identification card for overseas travel and the passport photo is a very important element for identification. The passport photo shall have been taken within the last six months before application. The photo must show the applicant intactly without any modifications so that his/her identification can be confirmed during the immigration inspection process (including automated immigration clearance systems) of each country. Submit a photo that meets the requirements below so that your passport application is not delayed or denied.
- The photo should be in color and be 3.5cm in width and 4.5cm in height in size, and should show the full face (front-view).
- Make sure the photo shows the whole head (from top of hair to bottom of chin); the height of the head should measure 3.2cm to 3.6cm.
- The photo shall have been taken within the last six months before application.
Photo quality and background
- A photo printed on regular paper shall not be used. The portrait shall be printed on photographic paper. The submitted portrait shall be clear and have an even surface without any ink marks or creases.
- A photo modified using Photoshop, etc. shall not be used.
- The background of the passport photo must be plain white with no frame.
- There must be no other people or objects in the photo.
- There must be no shadows or flash reflection on the face and background.
Direction of face and facial expression
- The face and shoulders shall be front-view, aligned toward the camera. (No turning to one side)
- The mouth shall be closed. Only natural (neutral) expression is allowed. No smiling or frowning in the passport photo.
- Any part of the face shall not be covered by your hair, accessories, etc. The whole face (from forehead to chin) must be visible.
Pupils and glasses
- The eyes shall look into the camera.
- The eyes shall not be covered by hair, glasses, etc. Red-eye photos are not allowed.
- Do near wear colored contact lenses, tinted glasses, and sunglasses.
- Pupils and glasses should not have flash reflection.
Clothes and accessories
- Do not wear white clothes that cannot be distinguished from the background. Wearing pale colored clothes that can be distinguished from the background is permitted.
- Religious clothing is permitted only for those who wear it daily. The whole face (from forehead to chin) must be visible.
- The head shall not be covered by a hat, etc.
- Wearing a turtleneck, scarf, etc. is allowed unless it covers the outline of the face.
- Accessories, such as earrings, should not reflect the light or cover the outline of the face.
Infants (under 24months old)
- The same requirements as adults.
- The infant’s toys or guardian shall not be in the picture.
- An infant who cannot close his/her mouth may open his/her mouth slightly and show his/her teeth.